Thursday, August 31, 2006

Humor is a way of life...



For those who know and love me, it is no big shock that I handle everything with humor. Stressed, laugh about it...hurting, crack a joke...mad, okay maybe not when I'm mad but I'll eventually laugh about it. It is because of this that I have decided to share one of my most embarrassing moments. Maybe, just maybe, you laughing at me will help me to laugh a little when all I want to do is cry right now. First off, let me say that I love my extended family, meaning the IN-LAWS. We have a very special relationship that I cherish but it is no big secret that "other guy" and I could not be more opposite. I am still convinced (although, they deny it) that they thought Satan had sent me to corrupt their son. Let's just say that "other guy" and I came from opposite sides of the track...if you know what I mean. I grew up in the typical southern, redneck family...for those of you who aren't familiar with what that means, just check out Jeff Foxworthy's old stuff, the "you might be a redneck if" stuff and that will give you an idea. We had the broken down car in the front yard, we cooked everything in bacon grease and the three main men in our lives were Hank, Merle and Willie. (If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand!) When I first came to dinner at "other guy's" house, I kicked my shoes off at the front door because we rednecks liked to be barefoot. I sat on the arm of the furniture, I talked loud, laughed loud and got a crazy look on my face when "steamed fresh veggies" were served. I mean really, did people really eat veggies that had not simmered all day in bacon grease or with a ham hock?

Needless to say, when the time came to meet "other guy's" friends...well, boy howdy...let's go buy a new outfit, shoes, the works. So there I was, decked out in my fancy new digs headed into the movie theatre to be the typical "trophy" girlfriend. Well, his friends were already at the head of the line so they motioned us to join them as they already had our tickets...No problem, right?!

WRONG!!!! The only thing that stood in my way of cool trophy girlfriend and idiot summer fling was a harmless velvet rope. I mean who could have guessed that such a small, mostly unnoticed object could result in my utter humiliation?

Okay, picture this, "other guy" crosses over the rope, I follow...Velvet rope gets caught on fancy new shoe and trophy girlfriend goes down! When "other guy" reaches his friends, the girl behind the register says, "Uh, is that like your girlfriend back there?" So everybody turns around, "other guy", "other guy’s friends, the entire Saturday night packed movie theatre only to find trophy girlfriend in the chalk outline position on the floor, dieing of painful embarrassment and hurting too bad to get up!

Just think...He still chose me!

Hope it brought a smile to your face...the memory has me cracking up right now!

Peace Out!

4 Comments:

Blogger Addie said...

Hee, hee, hee! I love this story! And I bet you stood up with a smart aleck remark too! Or maybe not, since you were trying so hard to be the trophy girlfriend! :D

11:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The best part of this story is that we all had respect for her enough to wait to laugh at her until we got into the theater and the lights went down. It was beautiful...we all started laughing at the same time all knowing what the other person was laughing at without saying a word.

PS Now she is my trophy wife ;)

12:02 PM  
Blogger Natasha said...

That is priceless!!! Sounds just like you too!! You always know how to make me laugh even if it is at your own expense!! Love you!! Your sista

9:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Come an listen to a story 'bout a girl named Bev, A poor country girl barely kep' 'er chilren fed....An' then one day.... Into town moved a bunch of lil hoods... Hilbilly's that is!
When they didn't have much of anything else, you could ALWAYS feel a lot of love!
Guess You Know Who!

11:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home