Monday, August 28, 2006

Who Am I...That's Who I Am



I love music...and when I say I love music, I mean I love music. My life is surrounded by it. The radio or a CD is always playing, we're always singing and dancing, I'm married to a music major for pete's sake...God knows that I love music. Any kind of music. It speaks to me in ways that are amazing some times. When I was a child, that was how my mom and I would communicate through difficult times. When we would have a disagreement (let's be honest here, when we had a fight!) we'd find a song, write out the lyrics and leave it in a note and then suddenly everything was all better. I love praise and worship music at church, I clap and raise my hands and feel the holy spirit move through me during those times. I am moved to tears to hear both of my children singing the songs from the Summer Breakout (VBS) CD that I have because I taught. Even Moe can clap her hands on beat and asks over and over again for "Peace, Peace" translatation, Prince of Peace by Michael W Smith.

This week I pulled out some CD's that I had not listened to in a while. You know how it is parents, you finally get a moment in the car, by yourself, and you suddenly have the freedom to listen to whatever YOU want to listen to. You stop being the DJ of Mom's taxi service and actually put out a CD that your kids would probably like if they just gave it a chance. Well, I heard two songs that really spoke to me and it's funny how they can be two totally different songs, one country, one contemporary christian but both with similiar titles and both with strong meanings.

The first was "Who Am I" by Casting Crowns. I love that song. I love the opening line that says, "who am I that the Lord of all the earth would care to know my name, would care to feel my hurt." I also think the chorus speaks volumes:

"Not because of who I am. But because of what you've done.
Not because of what I've done, But because of who you are.
I am a flower quickly fading. Here today and gone tomorrow.
A wave tossed in the ocean. A vapor in the wind.
Still you hear me when I'm calling. Lord, you catch me when I'm falling.
And you've told me who I am. I am yours, I am yours "
Isn't that Great!

The other is "Who I Am" by Jessica Andrews. I loved this song when it first came out but then stopped listening to it because the lyrics were so personal to her that I didn't feel like they applied to me. But, after re-listening, I realized that if you change a few words, it applies to my life now and also speaks to me like the other song. The chorus is this:

"I am Rosemary's grandaughter. (I am Leigh Lahti's great-granddaughter)
The spitting image of my father. (I was created in my Father's (God) image)
And when the day is done, my mama's still my biggest fan.
(Sorry Mom but now, when the day is done my husband is my biggest fan)
Sometimes, I'm clueless and I'm clumsy,
But I've got friends who love me
and they know where I stand.
It's all apart of me and that's who I am."
I know this is really long but just remember that at the end of the day, God answers all the big questions in life. He tells you who you are and reveals it to you in special ways through your relationships. I am a better person simply because of the people He has blessed my life with.
Peace Out!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who Am I, that the Lord of all the earth, would care to know my name...

Awesome words from a song that is dear to my heart. Thanks for this post tonight.

9:32 PM  
Blogger Addie said...

Ah, sweet time alone in the car. Ben gives me his ipod and I'm in music HEAVEN!

So glad you got some time alone to be reminded of who you are! (and I love the casting crowns song. Haven't heard the other one, but it sounds good too.)

I didn't that other guy was a music major!?! You learn something new everyday.

9:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home