Wednesday, August 23, 2006

"Show Me The Money..."




Needless to say, I have had a very busy and stressful week. We've had family in town so lots of time away from home (which, if your kids are like mine always goes over well!), doctor's appt, stressing out over my sister, my grandfather and all the other things life can throw your way. So, it was no surprise when I had a moment that I became agitated with my husband. (Honey, if you're reading this, you're not in trouble and everything is kosher so don't freak out!) You know I don't even remember what it was about or even what day it was, I just remember how God helped me deal with it.

Have you ever seen the movie with Tom Cruise called Jerry Maguire? Well, if you haven't, let me give you a brief synopsis. It's about a sports agent who finally gets a conscience and a football player and his family. Well, the football player's wife is named Marcy and she is a very strong willed woman who has no problem informing people the way it is and the way it's going to be! She is strong, independent and she stands up for her husband. She tells him what works and what doesn't. In my opinion, she plays the "man of the family" for most of the movie. However, there is a point during a game when Rod gets hurt. Marcy is at home with her brand new baby, their other son and their families watching the game on TV. Something happens and she sees him lying there on the field with trainers and doctors surrounding him and I am sure with every inch of her body, she is feeling the need to be there because nobody can take care of her husband the way that she can. Suddenly, the "strong" mask is diminished and the feminine side comes out. She gets on the phone with Jerry (the agent) and begins to cry wondering if her husband is okay. Through her sobs, Marcy explains to Jerry to get Rod home, whatever it takes get him home. And this was the kicker, she tells Jerry, "This family does not work without him, we need him, I don't care what you have to do, get my husband to me Jerry!"

Now it may seem strange to you, that God would use that movie clip to speak to me, but He did. You see even though there are days that I would like to (in the words of my Mother-In-Law), dunk my husband in the nearest basketball goal, this family doesn't work without him. All of him, even those quirky little things that drive me crazy at times. "Other Guy" is the glue that holds this family together, with his humor and his love. The movie also has another quote that has become quite famous, "you complete me!" This quote, in my opinion, is biblical. The Bible says the man shall leave his home and cleave to his wife and the two shall become one. We are ONE flesh, ONE heart..."Other Guy" completes me! We balance one another.

That being said, even on the days that I become agitated by something he did or didn't do, God reminds me that I am him and He is me...we are ONE!

So the next time you have an "agitating moment" with your husband, remember you are One and just laugh and say, "Show me the money!" It will help the laughter come and the tension flee.


(For those of you who don't know or haven't seen the movie, that is another quote!")

Peace Out!


4 Comments:

Blogger Stacey said...

Thanks for that perspective on my husband. I often feel a bit irritated and want to dunk him like your MIL says. Great thought for today and I'll remember to use the "show me the money" line next time : )

1:29 PM  
Blogger Addie said...

I tried commenting on this earlier Marie, but Blogger was down or something.

I LOVE that part of the movie! I love when she says that on the phone to Jerry!

(I see you've picked up a few phrases from your MIL too, not just the other way around?) Next time it seems I want to dunk my man in the nearest basketball goal, just remind me to show you the money! :-)

4:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This movie is my life in a nutshell with my hubby. Needless to say God had a great sense of humor when He put us together.
Thanks for the blog and the reminder that my husband is my life here on earth. Too often we get caught up in the "he didn't do this" or "he didn't do that". Am I much better? Not really.
Hey, I think the ladies from our small group needs to meet and watch this movie. Marie you can lead the lesson. Hee! Hee!

7:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are a great writer! I get so much out of what I read in your BLOG...

You are the best; but you already know that don't you??

I treasure you, Curly, Moe and "other guy."

Sandy

6:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home