Thursday, August 17, 2006

When the Student becomes the Teacher...




I had a moment yesterday that was a classic "aahhaaa" moment with Curly & Moe. As a parent, I think we have all experienced those moments where you just stand in the doorway and quietly observe as your children interact. There was quite a commotion coming from the playroom and I decided to look in and just watch. I've been trying to allow the girls to try to work out some of their own disagreements and only enter the picture when it is necessary.

While Curly was trying to watch a movie, Moe decided to turn on her Leap Frog and try out her vocal range. Needless to say, this upset Curly. With the best motherly voice she could muster, she tried to explain to her sister why she could not play with that toy while a movie was playing. For some reason, this explanation was very humorous to Moe so on top of singing, she decided to start laughing too. Well, can you guess what happened next? Suddenly, I saw a microphone being lowered from the ceiling and a lightweight boxing announcer come up out of the floor. He began in a bellowing voice, "...and in this corner, weighing in at 34 pounds in the pink shorts, let's give a round of applause for the one we all know and love, Ccccccuuuuuuurrrrrrllllly!"




"Now, ladies and gentleman, the challenger, she may be short, she may be little, but here to challenge the big sister, let's give a round of applause for MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMoooooooooe!"

(Okay, so maybe that's a slight exaggeration, but you weren't here so work with me!)

The girls began doing everything in their power to agitate each other and hidden in the doorway, was the mother of the year, laughing hysterically. I was having flashbacks of my own childhood and the tense moments with my own sisters.

The teaching moment came when my older daughter stopped the fight and lovingly looked at her sister and said, "How many times do I have to tell you, I'm bigger so you have to listen to me, I know what I'm talking about!"

At that moment, time seemed to freeze. I had this vision of what God must feel like every time we take a different path. Does He ever say, "If I had a nickel for every time you did that, I'd be rich or How many times do you have to fall before you'll listen to me?"

All kidding aside, I am sure that He weeps for us when we disobey and when we fight with one another. God gave us the gift of freewill and it's our choice whether or not to love and accept Jesus Christ.

What's your choice, are you still fighting with God?

Peace Out

8 Comments:

Blogger Addie said...

Oo, well it depends on the day, whether or not I'm fighting God. But don't you know that Curly nailed it!

And Moe with that skirt on her head? Priceless!!! :D

2:28 PM  
Blogger Stacey said...

I love the pictures, they are too cute! You did a great job of putting the picture in my head for the boxing round. I love when kids fight and then work it out on their own. It shows they're really growing up and understanding each other and life around them!!

BTW, found you over at Addie's and I'm glad I did : )

2:16 PM  
Blogger Big Mama said...

The pictures are too cute! Found you through Addie and wanted to say hi. Natasha will be in my prayers.

5:40 PM  
Blogger Rebekah said...

Hey, there! I'm a fellow Grace-r and long-time friend of Addie's. I'm sure we've seen each other at Grace, maybe even met - but, well, I'm a dork when it comes to names and faces and do not take any responsibility for not knowing people. Okay, let me say, I'm trying to take responsibility for getting to know more Grace-r people and I'm so excited you've got the blog thing going cuz now I can lurk and get to know ya here.
After all that - I say WELCOME to bloggy world! And, most importantly, I'm praying for your sis and all of your family!

6:51 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Your girls are adorable, and I totally love the name of your blog!

8:12 PM  
Blogger Diane@Diane's Place said...

Here by way of Addie, Marie. :-)

I'll be praying for your sister as she faces this battle with cancer again. Praying for you and all her family, because you all will fight this battle, too.

Love your blog! You're off to a good start. Welcome to Blogdom. ;D

8:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Marie!

This is Addie's "mom-in-love", Karen in Gaza. Just wanted to let you know we are all praying for Natasha, your sis, too!
I loved the pics of your girls--- just precious!

2:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, I am a loser because I am just now reading this hysterical reinactment of Curly and Moe getting ready to go after it. Should I expect a bell next time I come over?
Cutest pics ever.

7:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home