Monday, August 14, 2006

A Time of Need...



I would love to be able to sit here at my computer and come up with something really insightful or better yet, something really funny to type. I wish I could bring a thought process to your mind or at least a smile to your lips. But if the truth be told, I am hurting right now. I am struggling with a range of emotions and every moment feels like a roller coaster.

My sister, Natasha, had what is called a PET scan last week. This is where they inject you with radioactive dye and then scan your body. Any type of "rapid cell growth" is lit up. For those of you who are familiar with cancer, it is a "rapid cell growth".

I am sad to report that the PET scan showed places on her breasts, her ovary and a spot on her spine. She is still scheduled to have the spots on her breasts biopsied on the 23rd and her oncologist has promised her that he will have the results by Friday, the 25th.

Natasha met yesterday with her OB/GYN and they want to remove her ovary.

I'm sure you can understand now why I am struggling. I love my sister! To hear the fear and the hurt in her voice is sometimes more than I can bear. I want so desperately to be there with her now, to give her a big bear hug and then say something really funny to make her smile again. Maybe I could remind her of our awkward years of big hair, neon colored shirts and most importantly our cool "Ice, Ice Baby" dance. Just typing about it makes me laugh!

In these times I am so grateful to serve a God who understands. He is there through the entire roller coaster of emotions. He is there beside me while the ride climbs into the great unknown and He holds my hand and whispers in my ear as I take the plunge into anger, hurt and despair. Most importantly though, He is there to help me off the ride when my legs are too shaky to do it on my own.

Please pray for my sister this week, this day, this moment. I am clinging to the promise that God will meet her there, in her hurt, in her anger, in her despair and love her and comfort her.

Dramatist, Nicole Johnson (www.freshbrewedlife.com), once wrote a skit entitled, "Stepping into the Ring" for breast cancer. She talks about the experience being like a boxing match and at the end when she finally gets the strength to fight, she gives a sharp right upper cut and says,

"You might take my breast but you will NEVER take my SPIRIT!"

Peace Out!

7 Comments:

Blogger Addie said...

Marie, we're praying for you guys and Natasha! It's so hard to remember the sovereignty of God when these things happen.

Romans 8:28 "And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose."

Jer. 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

He loves you both more than I could ever comprehend. I'll pray that he keeps your hearts and minds through this.

Much love!

2:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay well, you knew that sooner or later I would have to say something sooo...here goes.
Did you know that the day you moved here my life changed for the better? (I know, Iknow! I normally don't say cheesy stuff like that but bear with me. You couldn't possibly imagine how difficult this is!1) I didn't realize how desperately I needed a friend (you!) until you got here. And, did you know that I admire you beyond belief simply because you're you? You came here, jumped right in - made friends - got involved in church - organized your house - volunteer w/Bvrec - the list goes on and on and on. But more importantly, you shine a light - Gods light - into the world of those of us who have the pleasure of knowing you. I once heard someone say "If you beat a path to the Throne, others will follow." Marie, Tasha followed you. You know it. I know it. And, she knows it. I don't know how you feel. I know that I love Tasha and this hurts me but I'm not her sister. YOU'RE my sister. And when you hurt, I hurt. So I want to remind you that Tasha wouldn't be where she is spiritually if it weren't for you. She has a personal relationship with the Gentle Healer and stands firm in the grip of grace because you (lovingly) beat her over the head with the bible - Redneck Style. Anyway, now that I've written more than your blog I feel compelled to add one more thing. My life works best with you in it. You keep me grounded, organized (well, at least more organized than I was) and balanced. You allow me the freedom to be over indulgent, self absorbed and spoiled. You also are the first to reel me in when I take it overboard. But mostly, you offer me the greatest friendship I have ever had. You make my life better. YOu have touched my heart in ways that you can't imagine and I am eternally greatful. WHen my world gets dark Marie, of all my friends, you shine the brightest light. And I know you will do the same with Tasha. I speak for her and me when I say "We love you and are proud to call you sister!"

Shine on, Girl!
Casi

9:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marie....I WILL pray for your sister. I am so sorry to hear what she is going through. Praise the Lord that we can trust in His awesome power to work miracles and comfort us in every season, even those that seem unbearable.

(Welcome to the blogging world...looks like you're a natural)

8:35 PM  
Blogger Girl Raised in the South said...

I have a dear friend who's having a mastectomy next Monday. She's already been through the battle of chemo and radiation last year, and is fighting again. I'll be praying for Natasha every time I pray for Sharon. xoxoxo

12:20 PM  
Blogger Stacey said...

I just want you to know I'm praying for you and your sister in these tough days! I can understand where you're coming from. My MIL has been battling breast, brain and kind of everywhere cancer for years now. We're waiting on PET scan results right now. It's hard to understand how God can let someone go through this kind of thing but we have to know He has a plan! My sister-n-law always tells me "Nothing is a surprise to God!" I will be praying for your family this week! Keep us updated!!

2:21 PM  
Blogger Barb said...

Marie, coming to you by way of Addie. I'm so sorry you're going through this. I cannot imagine how I could bear it if it were my sister. She's Bev at Blessed Beyond Measure in your comments by the way. So please rest assured I will pray for your sister and I truly hope she beats this.

5:18 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Marie, I'm here by way of Addie, and I came to let you know that I'll be praying for Natasha and you and your family. So sorry you're having to go through this. I can't imagine how difficult it must be, but I do know that the Lord will never leave you nor forsake you.

8:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home