Wednesday, January 09, 2008

N-Uff!

We just started this new series at church and if I might take the liberty to say...Tim Howey ROCKS!!! I have pretty strong opinions on finances. I have lived the gamut of lifestyles from being flat out poor to doing pretty good. Now before I get any emails or smart comments, I am not, I repeat, am not in any way saying that Other Guy and I are rich. We have struggled with finances just like any other person on earth. We have made some really smart decisions (like our new budget for 2008) and some pretty dumb decisions (sorry no dirt on those!) I am convinced of one thing though, it all comes down to decisions. The ones I consult the Father with first always seem to work out one way or the other. The times when I (we) lean on our own understandings and abilities, well those generally land us flat on our face!

Although we live in one of the wealthiest counties in the US, I don't want my girls growing up never knowing what it's like to long for something. I don't want them to have everything handed to them on a silver platter.

When I was little, my mom was a single parent and I am sure she got tired of the constant complaints of "We never get this or that's not fair!" So, she went out and bought us all composition books. Every week she would bring her paycheck home and divide it equally among us but that also meant we divided up the light bill, the phone bill, the groceries, the gas...everything. We soon had a better grasp on why we couldn't afford certain things. It totally changed our outlook about whining when we didn't get something. We fully understood why we couldn't afford it. It gave all of us an appreciation for each other and that memory still sticks with me. Regardless of our financial circumstances, I want my girls to see their blessings for what they are, gifts from God.

There is a song by Toby Mac (& Kirk Franklin) that just hits home on this subject. It's entitled Lose My Soul. Here are some of the lyrics: Father God, I am clay in your hands. Help me to stay that way through all life's demands 'Cause they chip and they nag and they pull at me And every little thing I make up my mind to be

Like I'm gonna be a daddy whose in the mix. And I'm gonna be a husband who stays legit. And I pray that I'm an artist who rises above the road that is wide and filled with self love. Everything that I see draws me Though its only in You that I can truly see that its a feast for the eyes - a low blow to purpose And I'm a little kid at a three ring circus

I don't want to gain the whole world and lose my soul. I don't want to gain the whole world and lose my soul.

Man, I just love that! There are so many things in this world that call for my attention but I don't want to gain the whole world and lose my soul. I want to know that when the final curtain falls, I will stand before the one who created me and here six beautiful words. WELL DONE, GOOD AND FAITHFUL SERVANT!

Peace Out, Ya'll

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have recently learned a lot from your "blogs" and oh,the memories....I hope you always remember the composition books and the lessons they teach, but please always use pencils in them, mistakes are easier to correct. I KNOW that as a parent at least once you will look back and ask yourself.....Should I have done this instead of that, OR Would it have been better if I had.....OR think to yourself... If only she could see .... I also have to say "thank you" for having answered do many of my "Should I?, Would it?" questions. You have caused my heart to soar to heights never known before! I hope you always ask the Father for guidance 1st and then allow Him to lead.

12:02 PM  
Blogger Anonymous said...

WE HAVE A CHOICE! Stop giving your money away to companies you hate. I really believe in Ciao, and don't you ultimately want your dollars going towards a company that you trust and love? They have a great deal going on right now; check them out: Ciaotelecom.com/cloudpbx/freemonth

2:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home